Frequently Asked Questions about Replacing Power Steering Fluid in a 2017 Nissan Altima
1. How do I replace the power steering fluid in my 2017 Nissan Altima?
To replace the power steering fluid in your 2017 Nissan Altima, follow these steps:
– Locate the power steering reservoir, which is usually on the left-hand side of the engine.
– Remove the black cap from the reservoir and use a pump or any tool that can siphon the old fluid out.
– Empty the old fluid into a container to avoid any mess.
– Refill the reservoir with new Prestone fluid and replace the cap.
2. What should I do if I prefer not to do it myself?
If you’re not comfortable doing it yourself, you can take your car to a repair shop or a mobile mechanic. They will ensure that the replacement is done properly.
3. Should I change the power steering fluid myself or take it to a mechanic?
Both options have their advantages and disadvantages. Taking your Nissan to a mechanic ensures that the replacement is done correctly, but it may cost around $120 for the labor. If you’re looking to save money, doing it yourself can be a viable option, with the power steering fluid costing only $10 to $20.
4. Which power steering fluid is the best for a 2017 Nissan Altima?
Prestone’s power steering fluid is recommended for a 2017 Nissan Altima. It is compatible with many brands, including Honda, Toyota, Lexus, and Infiniti. Other options like Peak Full Synthetic Asian, Idemitsu Lubricants, and Pentosin ATF 44 are also suitable.
5. When should I replace the power steering fluid in my 2017 Nissan Altima?
It is recommended to replace the power steering fluid in your 2017 Nissan Altima every three years or 30,000 miles. However, keep an eye out for signs such as screeching or squeaking noises when turning the steering wheel, difficulty in turning the wheel, bubbles in the fluid, leakage from the reservoir, or a change in color from clear to yellow. These signs may indicate the need for a replacement before the recommended interval.
6. How does replacing the power steering fluid benefit my Nissan Altima?
Replacing the power steering fluid not only makes your driving experience smoother but also extends the lifespan of your Nissan Altima. Regular maintenance, including power steering fluid replacement, helps prevent damage to your vehicle.
7. How can I save money on my 2017 Nissan Altima?
For cost-saving options on your 2017 Nissan Altima, consider using Jerry, the insurance comparison app. Jerry helps you find the best policy for your needs by providing cheap car insurance quotes from top name-brand insurance companies. It also assists in the purchasing process and can help you cancel your old policy. Additionally, Jerry sends new quotes at each policy renewal to ensure you always have the coverage you want at the best price.